To protect and improve the quality and hygiene of food, tremendous changes have been brought by the Food Safety & Standards Act,2006. As per the act, it is mandatory to obtain an FSSAI registration/license for a person to commence a food business. Thus FSSAI license is required for all activities relating to the manufacture, process, storage, packaging, and distribution of food.
Food Safety & Standards Authority of India has been established under Food Safety & Standards Act,2006 which handles food related issues in various departments.The Act additionally wishes to build up a single reference point for all matters identifying with food safety standards, by moving from multi-level, multi-departmental control to a solitary line of summoning. To this impact, the Act builds up an autonomous statutory Authority – the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India which holds its head office at Delhi. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and the State Food Safety Authorities should put into force various provisions of the Act.
Establishment of the Authority
FSSAI is governed by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is headed by a Chief Executive Officer and a Chairperson who have already been appointed by Government of India. The Chairperson holds the rank of Secretary to Government of India.
FSSAI has been mandated by the FSS Act, 2006 for performing the following functions:
• Laying down rules and procedures relating to food measures and ensuring that such standards are met.
• Setting down rules for accreditation of confirmation bodies occupied with an affirmation of sustenance security administration framework for food organizations.
• Setting down methodology and rules for accreditation of research centers and warning of the licensed labs.
• Advises and assists both the Central and State Governments in framing policies and rules in areas having a direct relation with the food industry.
• Maintains statistical data about the amount of food consumption, contaminants in food, adulteration of food products and identifies the potential risks to the industry and helps in taking necessary preventive measures.
• Creating an information network across the country so that the consumers and other public bodies receive information about food safety and other concerned issues in no time.
• It provides training and technical assistance to people who want to pursue a career in food businesses.
• FSSAI helps and extends contribution for the development of international standards for food and sanitation
• Creates awareness among people about the safety of food and food standards.
The license helps protect businesses by promoting best practices and improving suppliers standards to improve consistency to avoid product failure. It eliminates continuous audits of food manufacturers, it ensures greater quality and hygiene of food hence preventing the practices of adulteration. It gives the consumer a higher degree of confidence in quality and safety of food.