If you want to drive a vehicle legally in India, a driving license is a must, as it acts as an ID proof and therefore it serves as an important document. Not having a valid driving license while you are driving is a punishable offence according to the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. Therefore, it is important to maintain valid information about your driving license.
In case you have moved from your hometown and are residing permanently in some town other than the one in which you grew up. If so, you would be needing to update your driving license. Here’s the procedure that you can follow while changing your address on the driving license online.
Changing The Address on Driver’s License Online
People who have shifted permanently/are residing in a different city for a particular period of time would be needing to change their address on their driving license. There are two ways you can change your address on the driving license. The first option is to change your address online. It is easy and the most preferred option. The second option is to go to the local RTO to make changes to your address. This option will require a few steps such as filing an application to RTO; obtaining a No Objection Certificate or Clearance Certificate from the RTO that provided you the driving license. Once you are done with that, you can go to your nearest RTO to apply for a change in address.
Procedure To Change Your Address Via Rto
- For changing your address on your Driving License (DL) you will be needing a caste certificate and an income certificate, both of which are issued by a Tahsildar. This is in case if you don’t have another ID proof.
- Apart from this, people need to submit other ID proof and address proofs for the completion of their application.
- A caste certificate is basically proof that you belong to a certain caste. It can be obtained either via online applications or by visiting local government centres and offices nearby.
- Pick up a change of address form from your nearest RTO and fill it.
- Meet an official at your nearest RTO after you have collected the desired documents and filled the change of address form.
- An official superintendent will go through all your documents and form and verify their validity.
- After the submission of these, they will let you know the processing fee that is usually INR 200.
- After the payment of the processing fee, you will receive a receipt that will serve as an acknowledgement slip.
- After completing the following steps, you can expect your updated driving license via post within 30 days of submission of your application form.
- In case you are moving interstate, the application will require a NOC.
- However, you are moving to a place within the same state you will be needing a CC (Clearance Certificate) to get the changes made.
Documents Required for Changing Address in Driving License Online
- Form No. 7
- Change of address application form
- Clearance Certificate/ No Objection Certificate
- Aadhaar Card
- Post Card
- Passport-sized photograph
- Proof of current residential address- bills, Ration card, Voter’s ID, etc
- In case you are a foreigner, proof regarding your presence in India.
- In case you do not possess any of the above-mentioned address proofs you can submit any of these:
- Certificate of caste and income
- If you are a central or state government employee then a salary slip
- Sworn affidavit before a Magistrate/First-class Judicial Magistrate/Notary Public
For Changing The Address On The Driving License Via Online Method
- The processing fee for changing the address on a driving license online is INR 500.
- For making the desired changes you have to visit the official website of Sarathi – a subsidiary of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway.
- A list of states will be displayed. Choose the respective state from the given list.
- Click on“Apply Online” and then select the “Services On Driving Licence” option.
- Now carefully read each and every instruction that pops up in a dialogue box and then click on “Continue” to proceed.
- Then enter your details such as driving license number, date of birth, and State.
- Choose the appropriate RTO and click on “Proceed”.
- A page will appear with all your details. Go through the details displayed and click on the “Confirm” button to proceed.
- Then select the desired service and click on “Proceed”.
- If you need a NOC, click on “Issue of NOC”.
- Now enter the required details and the captcha and then click on the “Submit” button.
- An acknowledgement form will appear now, click on the “Proceed” button to continue.
- Click on “Upload Documents” to upload the required documents and then click “Next”.
- Select the address proof you wish to upload from the documents list, and then upload the same.
- Likewise, upload age proof from the document list, and then click on “Confirm”.
- Now, choose “Form-1” and then upload the required form.
- Then click on “Upload Photo and Signature” and upload both of them in the required format and size.
- After you have uploaded both the documents successfully, a message will appear on your screen. Once the message appears, click on “Next”.
- Next, choose the “DL Slot Book” to proceed with your application.
- Go through all the details and choose the Class of Vehicle.
- Choose an appropriate date and time, and then click on “Book Slot”.
- Next, click on “Confirm to Slot Book”. After you are done with this you will receive an SMS to your registered mobile number reading the same.
- Click on Print to download a copy for future reference once the appointment letter is generated.
- Next, choose the “Fee Payment” option.
- Then click on “Click here to continue e-payment” and complete the payment process.
- Once the payment is successful, you will receive an acknowledgement message. For future references print out the receipt.
- Once you see your application has been approved, you may print the copy online. For doing so, click on “Print Driving License”. Then enter your application number and date of birth and click on the “Submit” button.
We provide all kinds of legal services like Trademark Registration, Company Registration, FSSAI License, and many more. So, contact the expert team of “LegalRaasta”, for a completely smooth and hassle-free process.