For TAN registration no particular document or proof of identity is required. For obtaining TAN, Form 49 B needs to be filled and submitted. The process for registration is stated below-
- You can fill and submit the form 49 B online or send a completed Form 49 B to any TIN Facilitation Centre of NSDL. It is easy to apply electronically.
- If you find any error in your form, rectify it and resubmit it online.
- A confirmation screen will open up and it will demand your confirmation.
- After confirming the form, an acknowledgement slip will appear which consists of the name of the applicant, applicant status, a 14-digit acknowledgement number, contact details, payment details and space for signature.
- Payment can be made by Demand draft or Cheque or Credit/Debit Card or Net Banking.
- Demand draft/cheque shall be in favour of ‘NSDL – TIN‘.
- Demand draft shall be payable at Mumbai.
- Applicants making payment by cheque shall deposit a local cheque (drawn on any bank) with any HDFC Bank branch across the country (except Dahej). The applicant shall mention TANNSDL on the deposit slip.
- Name of the applicant and the acknowledgement number should be mentioned on the reverse of the demand draft/cheque.
- On successful payment by credit card/debit card/net banking, an acknowledgement will be displayed. The applicant shall save and print the acknowledgement and send to NSDL as mentioned in section ‘Submission of Documents’ below.
- Signature / Left thumb impression should only be within the box provided in the acknowledgement. In the case of applicants other than ‘Individuals’, the authorised signatory shall sign the acknowledgement.
- Left-hand Thumb impression, if used, should be attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or Gazetted Officer, under official seal and stamp.
- The acknowledgement duly signed along with demand draft, if any, shall be sent to NSDL at NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune- 411 016.
- Superscribe the envelope with ‘APPLICATION FOR TAN Acknowledgment Number’ (e.g. ‘APPLICATION TAN – 8830102056244’).
- Your acknowledgement and demand draft, if any, should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application.
- The application will be processed only on receipt of duly signed acknowledgement and realisation of payment.
Some important points while applying for TAN:
- Applicants, if they want to, can track a status of their TAN using the 14-digit acknowledgement number on the site whenever necessary.
- The tan number is given by Income Tax Department to all those people who apply online.
- The application cannot be made online. People wishing to acquire TAN need to fill the form online only.
- Form 49 B can be filled on a typewriter but, the spellings should be correct with capital letters.
- The fees for application is Rs.63/- only (Rs.55/- application charge + 15% Service Tax).
- Applicants making credit card/debit card payment will be charged an additional surcharge of Rs.5.00 + service tax by the bank providing payment gateway facility.
- Applicants making payment through Net Banking facility will be charged an additional surcharge of Rs.4.00 + service tax for payment gateway facility.
- Persons authorised to make credit card/debit card / net banking payment for other categories are as below:
- A person can apply just for one TAN. If you apply for a new registration of TAN, then you must surrender your old TAN before a new one is issued. Submitting an application for more than one TAN is illegal as per the provisions of the act