While patent protects ideas, Copyright protects original expressions of the idea and not the underlying ideas. The creator of a work enjoys exclusive rights for its use and distribution. The author of a work is the original owner of Copyright. It is given to literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works and producers of cinematographic films and sound recordings. These are territorial rights and granted only for a limited time. It lasts for 60 years. E-filing of copyright registration is an easy process but do contains some uncertainties.
Copyright protects creativity by providing safeguards for the rights of authors. The work should be original. The owner of the copyright may assign wholly or partially and either generally or subject to limitations copyright to any person in future. Copyright rights vary from work to work. It is always recommended to register for copyright. E-filing of Copyright registration facility is provided on the official website.
E-filing process of copyright registration as follows:
- Enter your valid User ID and Password to login.
- Click onto NewUser Registration, if you have not yet registered.
- Note down User ID and Password for future use.
- After login, click on to link “Click for Online Copyright Registration”.
- The online “Copyright Registration Form” is to be filled up in four steps-
- Complete the Form XIV, press SAVE button to Save entered details, and press Step 2 to move to Next Step.
- Fill up the Statement of Particulars, and then press SAVE button to Save entered details, and press Step 3/4 to move to Next step
- Fill up the Statement of Further particulars. This form is applicable for “LITERARY/ DRAMATIC, MUSICAL AND ARTISTIC” works, and then press SAVE button to Save entered details, and press Step 4 to move to Next Step.
- Make the payment through Internet Payment gateway or;
- The fee is either in the form of Demand Draft, Indian Postal Order favoring “Registrar Of Copyright Payable At New Delhi”.
- After successful submission of the form, Diary Number will be generated (Please note it for future reference).
- Please take a hard copy (print) of “Acknowledgement Slip” and “Copyright Registration Report”, and send it by post.