- GST Search & Verification
- What is meant by GST number?
- Why GSTIN Number is needed?
- How to find details of a GST Number?
- Why is it necessary to verify GSTINs or GST numbers?
- What is the GST number format and what does each letter specify?
- Benefits of GST search & verification tool
- 4 Ways to do GST Search by- Online, PAN, Composition taxpayers, and by name
- GST Search by GSTIN/UIN
- GST Search by PAN
- GST Number Search for Tax Payments
- GST Search by Name
- Miss-use of GSTIN
- How to complain about the illegality of the GST Number?
Many use-cases for different companies will necessitate GST search or verification services. Through LEDGERS, Legalraasta offers all customers a free GST search and verification service. Legalrasta also provides GST services and verification through APIs in addition to LEDGERS. For more information on using GST API services, contact a Legalraatsa Business Advisor.
GST Search & Verification
Sign up for LEDGERS using the link below to start using the GST search and verification facility for free. You can access the GST of a customer or supplier after signing in, and LEDGERS will auto-fetch the company name from the GST Portal. Use the Verify GSTIN Status choice under the GST Menu to check the GST status, GST registration date, and return filing status.
What is meant by GST number?
GSTIN is the GST number. A GSTIN may be a 15-digit PAN-based unique number allotted to each registered person under GST. As a GST-registered professional consultant, you may want to try to verify your GST Number (GSTIN) before entering it into your GST Returns.
There are often multiple GSTIN for one person, being assessed under the tax Act for each State or Union Territory during which such person operates. It becomes compulsory to get GSTIN when the person crosses the edge limit for GST registration by registering himself under GST.
Unlike the previous tax regime, where multiple registration numbers were present for various laws like Excise, Service Tax, and VAT, it’s one license number under GST- GSTIN.
Why GSTIN Number is needed?
The GSTIN, also known as the GST number, is public information. Every business dealing with GST registered taxpayers must conduct a GST number search by name to ensure the authenticity of the vendor and the GSTIN or GST number used in the invoice. With the advancement of technology, you can now validate your GSTIN with a single click from anywhere and at any time. Before you continue with a transaction, look up the GST number. On the surface, you can partially validate the GSTIN or GST number by comparing the vendor’s PAN number to the digits 3 to 10 in the GSTIN. To verify GSTIN, use the Legalraasta GSTIN Verification Tool and GSTIN Validator (GST number).
How to find details of a GST Number?
You can easily find the particulars of a GST number if you have one. You can use the form above to look up any GST number. To find details of any GST number, enter the person’s GST number and click the search button. It is absolutely free to check the specifics of a GST number.
GST number information is obtained from GSTN servers and is correct. You can receive information about a GST number, such as the tradename, state of registration, tax payer’s indicative address, and jurisdictional specifics.
Why is it necessary to verify GSTINs or GST numbers?
It’s critical to double-check your GST number or GSTIN because there have been numerous instances where people have tampered with their GST numbers (GSTIN). Furthermore, the GST Number search will assist you in maintaining transparency in all business transactions and ensuring that you are filing correct GST Returns for each tax period. Furthermore, GSTIN verification will assist you in claiming any Input Tax Credit that you may have lost due to a forged GSTIN.
Verifying your GSTIN or GST Number is essential to ensure that your GST taxes are paid to the correct people. It’s also an opportunity for you to help build a country.
What is the GST number format and what does each letter specify?
Gst number or GSTIN or GST number is a unique 15-digit number. Each GST number contains 15 characters.
- The first two digits refer to the unique country code following the 2011 Indian census. For example,
- The code of state New Delhi is 07 and that of Karnataka is 29.
- The next 10 characters state the PAN number of the taxpayer.
- Digit 13 specifies the taxpayer registration number with the same PAN number.
- The 14th digit is the “Z” by default for all – meaningless at the moment.
- The 15 digit is a check digit – it can be a number or an alphabet.
For example, if your GST number starts at 29 it means you are registered in Karnataka. Similarly, each country is given an ID number.
Benefits of GST search & verification tool
The advantages of verification of a GSTIN using GSTIN Validator are:
- To verify the authenticity of any GSTIN
- A GSTIN on a hand-written invoice can be checked easily, if unclear
- You can stop yourself from linking with vendors using fake GSTINs
- Evade a GSTIN fraud
- Help vendors fix any likely error in reporting GSTIN
4 Ways to do GST Search by- Online, PAN, Composition taxpayers, and by name
GST number verification tool as shown above, just enter GSTIN or GST Number for viewing in the search tab, in the appropriate format and check the captcha and click on ‘Verfesa’ to search for GSTIN details. GSTIN Verification Tool downloads data directly from GSTN servers and displays GSTIN search results. It’s that simple.
By using this GST number checker, you can also check if the number you have been given is correct or not. If the GSTIN provided is incorrect, then you will receive an error message. If correct you will see details attached to GSTIN (as shown below), such as:
- Official Business Name
- Power of the State
- Administrative Center
- Registration date
- Business Constitution
- Type of Taxpayer
- GSTIN / UIN status
- Type of Business Activities
GST Search by GSTIN/UIN
One can apply the GST Number Search Tool on the GST website to see and check the GST registration status of a normal taxpayer. Checking the status of the registration means knowing whether the taxpayer’s registration is usually registered or not.
The following are the steps to search for a GST number in the event of an ordinary registered person:
Access the GST Portal at gov.gst.in. The GST portal homepage will appear.
Next, select the ‘Pay Tax’ tab on the GST homepage. In selecting the ‘drop-down taxpayer’ drop-down tab will display the following options:
- Search by GSTIN / UIN
- Search by PAN
- Search for a taxpayer
From the drop-down select the ‘Search by GSTIN / UIN’ tab as shown in the image below.
After selecting the ‘Search by GSTIN / UIN’ tab, you are redirected to the ‘Search Taxpayer’ page as shown in the image below. Fill in the GSTIN / UIN of the taxpayer you wish to search in the ‘GSTIN / UIN of taxpayer’ field. After filling in the GSTIN number, enter the captcha text and click the ‘search button.
The GST site will display GSTIN-related information completed in the required field. Such information includes the official business name, trade name, registration date, taxpayer type, GSTIN / UIN status, business constitution, and file filling table.
GST Search by PAN
The following are the steps to obtain a GST number in the case of a registered person:
- Access the GST Portal at gov.gst.in. The GST portal homepage will appear.
- Next, select the ‘Pay Tax’ tab on the GST homepage. In selecting the ‘download tax’ tab the drop-down tab will show the following: (I) GSTIN / UIN searches (ii) PAN searches and (iii) search taxpayer.
- After selecting ‘PAN search’, you are redirected to the ‘taxpayer’ page as shown in the image below. Fill in the PAN for the taxpayer you wish to search in the ‘PAN of the taxpayer category. After filling out the PAN, enter the captcha text and click the ‘search button.
- After clicking the ‘search button, the site will display the GSTIN / UIN registered against the provided PAN and its status and the country in which GST is registered.
- Click the mentioned GSTIN link under the GSTIN / UIN field as shown in the image below. By clicking on the GSTIN link for the provided PAN, the GST site will be redirected to the ‘search by GSTIN / UIN’ page. On this page, the GSTIN you wish to search for will be pre-installed in the ‘GSTIN / UIN taxpayer’ company. All you need to do is enter the captcha text and click the ‘search button.
- The GST site will display GSTIN-related information completed in the required field. Such information includes the official business name, trade name, registration date, taxpayer type, GSTIN / UIN status, business constitution, and file filling table.
GST Number Search for Tax Payments
The following are the steps to search for a GST number in the event of an ordinary registered person:
- Access the GST Portal at gst.in. The GST portal homepage will appear.
- Next, select the ‘Pay Tax’ tab on the GST homepage. In selecting the ‘search tax’ tab the drop-down tab will show the following: (i) Search by GSTIN / UIN (ii) Search by PAN and (iii) Composer taxpayer. From the drop-down select the ‘Search Taxpayer’ tab as shown in the image below.
- After selecting the ‘Build search user’ tab, you are redirected to the ‘taxpayer’ s opt-in ‘page’ as shown below.
- The drop-in exit option will reflect the following two options: (i) Opt-in and (ii) Opt-out. Select the required option for the makeup taxpayer you wish to search for. After selecting the appropriate option you can search for a taxpayer by default using GSTIN / UIN or country.
- If you select the GSTIN / UIN option, you need to fill in the GSTIN / UIN you wish to search for. Along with this, you need to enter the captcha text and click the ‘search’ button as shown below.
- However, if you choose to search for a property taxpayer using the ‘state’ option, you need to select the required status, financial year, and the official name of the business you wish to search for. After you fill in all the details, you need to enter the captcha text and click the ‘search’ button.
- The GST site will display GSTIN-related information or state information completed in the required fields. Such information includes the official business name, trade name, date of registration, GSTIN / UIN status, etc. The business name of a business is different from its official name. The official business name is the one used to acquire a business registered under GST. While the business name of the business is used either on a daily basis to invoice or use a bank account.
GST Search by Name
The GST portal does not currently allow you to search for a GST number by name. Previously, this feature was available through the portal, but it has since been removed. A taxpayer should look up a GST number by entering his GSTIN/UIN or the PAN of the registered taxpayer he’s looking for.
Miss-use of GSTIN
There may be cases where a supplier may deceive customers with GSTIN Misuse. Here are some basic uses of GSTIN:
- Fake GSTIN
There may be cases where a supplier may use a fake GSTIN ID and deliver goods to customers. In that case the supplier may collect the tax in the form of CGST + SGST or IGST from the recipient but not transfer it to the government.
- Bogus invoices
This is a real concern, as there may be cases where one may seek ITC by creating false internal invoices. In such a case, the supplier may create fraudulent internal invoices to correct the amount of tax liability inconsistent with the actual asset.
From now on, this can affect the interests of the customer or receiver and in addition, can affect the revenue of the government without a doubt. In accordance with these lines, to deal with such problems you must verify the GSTIN of the new provider at all times to ensure proper GST compliance.
How to complain about the illegality of the GST Number?
If you ever come across or notice any irregularities with the GSTIN, you should be aware that you have the option of becoming a whistleblower. You can look up your GST number on the website and notify the authorities [Noida / Gurgaon] of any illegal activity by e-mailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling them at +91 124 4688999 / +91 120 4888999.
When paying for a GST invoice, consumers must make an effort to ensure that the GST number listed on the invoice exists at https://www.gst.gov.in/ to ensure that their hard-earned money goes to the right pockets.
This article should have given you a good idea of how important GST numbers are in today’s world. Given how GST has been introduced, you must have a thorough understanding of the topic.
For more details associated with e-invoice, you can log in to our website services LegalRaasta.Our expert team will assist you in each part related to GST registration, Company Registration, Trademark Registration, and its services relatable. You can easily download our app of LegalRaasta APP. Moreover, you can ring us a call at 8750008585 and feel free to send your query on Email: email@example.com