LegalRaasta’s GSTIN/UIN Search Tool
Enter GSTIN number of the concerned business in the field below and click “Search”
Introduction to GST Number
The GST regime has transformed the way taxation is levied on value addition for goods and services. As a dealer, once GST application is done, you might want to do a GST verification before you do any business related activities such as filing GST returns. What GST verification basically means is that you have to search GST number or GSTIN. This process is done to ensure that the GSTIN/UIN number you have is under your business’s name. GSTIN is an essential identifier of your business. This GST number has to be quoted at invoices given to the customers. In addition to this, a business owner should display their GST number or GSTIN in the shop/place of business.
Read: Who is Assigned a UIN under GST rules.
What is GSTIN?
GSTIN stands for GST Identification Number. It is a 15-digit number provided by the GSTN. Let’s look at the format of the GST number you need to verify GST number.
- The first 2 digits of the 15 digit GSTIN will represent the state code.
- The next 10 digits will be the PAN Number of person or firm engaged in Business.
- As proposed the State Code as defined under the Indian Census 2011 would be adopted In the GSTIN. As per the terms of the Indian Census 2011, every State has a unique two digit code. For eg. 07 for Delhi
- The 13th would represent the number of registrations an entity has within a state under the same PAN. It will be an alpha-numeric number (first 1-9 and then A-Z) on the basis of a number of registrations a legal entity (having the same PAN) in the same state.
The introduction of the GST regime has been revolutionary for the taxation system in India. however, there has been a constant uprising in the pattern of misuse of the GST number as well. Many customers are under the perception that everyday commodities have become 12-18% expensive under the new GST rules. Under the new mechanisms, ignorance of the inner workings of the taxation system, many businesses are extracting illegal revenues.
Reports have arisen of many merchants in B and C category cities charging ₹ 1-2 extra in the name of GST. As soon as customers see an alphanumeric digit with a GSTIN, they blindly pay up the price without doing a proper GST verification.
many merchants use a fake GST ID in their invoices and collect full taxes but they do not pass on to the government. Merchants present a bill with CGST+SGST in front of the customer and they pay up instantly without checking the GST number.
Malicious .practises by certain businesses with regards to taxation are the reason you should know how to check GST number. It is important that you know the procedure to search GSTIN/UIN number. Let’s look at the procedure for the same. There are two ways in which you can verify GST number.
- Use LegalRaasta’s GSTIN Search Tool
- Search Via the GST Portal
GST Verification on GST Portal
Step 1: Head on over to the GST portal on this link https://www.gst.gov.in/
Step 2: Click “Search Taxpayer”>>> Search by GSTIN/UIN on the home page
Alternatively, you can log in to the GST portal and search from the portal.
GST Login Page
Search Taxpayer for GST verification
Step 3: Enter the GSTIN/UIN Number and relevant captcha and click “Search”
Step 4: If the GSTIN provided is correct, the details of the business will be displayed in front of you. If not, you will have to contact the relevant vendor and acquire the correct GST Identification Number.
IF and Only If, the GSTIN you enter is correct and matches the records of businesses under GST registration the following details will be in front of you.
- GST Number
- Legal Name of Business
- Center Jurisdiction
- State Jurisdiction
- Date of registration
- Constitution of Business i.e. Business Structure in the above-given example the business is under Private Limited Company Registration.
- Taxpayer type: Regular or Taxpayer under Composition Scheme.
- GSTIN/UIN Status
- In case of Cancellation of GST Registration, the GST verification search result will display the date of Cancellation
- Status of a field visit of the business.
Reporting a Fake GST ID
The GST department has set up multiple helplines to help you report the offences and crimes committed to GST and the offences. Given below are the contact numbers:
- GST complain number: 011-23370115 or 0124-4688999 or 0120-4888999
- GST Complaint mail id: https://selfservice.gstsystem.in/ or firstname.lastname@example.org
This was the procedure to verify GST number. At LegalRaasta, we aim to simplify legal compliances for businesses with a special catering towards startups and businesses with MSME registration. We help businesses with a wide range of services such as Company Registration, TrademarkFiling, Income Tax Return filing, FSSAI License and many more.
Call +91-875-000-8585 with your requirements.