IEC (Import Export Code), is a 10 digit unique number that is required for an exporter and an importer. IEC code (Import Export Code) is mandatory for good and not for services. DGFT (Director General of Foreign Trade) and Ministry of Commerce in India are high authorities that issue the Import Export Code (IEC).
Foreign Trade Policy of India that exempts the following from getting IEC code number as follows:
- Imports Covered by clause 3(1) (except subclauses (e) and (l)) and exports covered by section 3 (20) (except subclauses (i) and (K)) of Foreign Trade (Exemption from the application of Rules in certain cases) Order, 1993.
- Ministers or departments of Central or State government.
- If the person is importing goods for personal use and not for trade.
- if a Person importing/exporting goods from/to Nepal, Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas and China (through Gunji, Namgaya Shipkila, and Nathula ports), given that CIF value of a single shipment does not exceed Rs. 25,000.
- In the case of Nathula port, the applicable value ceiling will be Rs. 1,00,000.
- These exemptions are not valid for export of Special Organisms, Materials, Equipment, and Technologies (SCOMET) as mentioned in Appendix – 3, Schedule 2 of ITC (HS) except in the case of exports by category (ii) above.
IEC permanent numbers for non-commercial PSUs as follows:
|1.||0100000011||All Ministries / Departments of Central Government and agencies wholly or partially owned by them.|
|2.||0100000029||All Ministries / Departments of any State Government and agencies wholly or partially owned by them.|
|3.||0100000037||Diplomatic personnel, Consular officers in India and the officials of the UNO and its specialized agencies.|
|4.||0100000045||Indians returning from / going abroad and claiming benefit under Baggage Rules.|
|5.||0100000053||Persons / Institutions / Hospitals importing or exporting goods for personal use, not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture|
|6.||0100000061||Persons importing/exporting goods from /to Nepal provided the CIF value of a single shipment does not exceed Indian rupees 25000/-|
|7.||0100000070||Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas provided the CIF value of a single shipment does not exceed Indian rupees 25000/-|
|9.||0100000096||Importers importing goods for display or use in fairs/ exhibitions or similar events under provisions of ATA carnet. This IEC number can also be used by importers importing for exhibitions/fairs as per Paragraph 2.63 of Handbook of Procedures|
|10.||01000000100||Director, National Blood Group|
|11.||01000000126||Individuals / Charitable Institution / Registered NGOs importing goods, which have been exempted from Customs duty under Notification issued by Ministry of Finance for bonafide use by victims affected by natural calamity|
|12.||01000000134||Persons importing/exporting permissible goods as notified from time to time, from /to China through Gunji, Namgaya Shipkila and Nathula ports, subject to value ceilings of single consignment|
|13.||01000000169||Non-commercial imports and exports by entities who have been authorized by Reserve Bank of India.|
For any help regarding the Import Export Code, feel free to contact us at LegalRaasta.