Form 16A refer as a TDS Certificate which specifies TDS amount deducted and deposited on other payments except salary.
Although TDS on salaries is deducted at the average rate of estimated income (according to the Slab rates ), TDS on all other payments like TDS on interest, TDS on Rent etc. is to be deducted at the rates specified by the government.
The basic difference between Form 16 and FORM 16A is that the TDS deducted on salary is reflected in Form 16 and Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) deducted on other payments is reflected in Form 16A. Moreover, Form 16 is generally issued annually whereas this certificate is issued quarterly. All details that are there in Form 16A are available on Form 26AS. This can be used to file your return.
Components of Form 16A
This TDS Certificate is issued under Section 203 of the Income Tax Act, 1961 and it contains the following particulars
- Name, PAN No. and TAN No. of the deductor
- Name, PAN No. of the deductee
- Nature of Payment, Amount Paid and the date of payment
- Receipt no. of the TDS payment
- The above details as mentioned in Form 16A are required to be furnished at the time of filing of returns
Procedure of Filing Form 16A
While filling up the details in the Form 16A these points need to be followed:
- Write Deductor name and address; ensure to fill in their PIN number (Postal Index Number) as well, while filing the address.
- Fill in the TAN of the Deductor (this is an alphanumeric number with the first 4 digits in alphabets and 5 in digits and 1 in alphabets).
- Enter the PAN No. of the Deductor
- Fill the information of 4 acknowledgment numbers.
- Fill the nature of payments contractual type, professional, etc.
- There are corresponding codes for all the payments, enter those codes.
- Name of the deductee who’s TDS has been deducted.
- In the column PAN no. of the deductee, mention the PAN number of the deductee who’s TDS has been deducted.
- Enter the period in the Form, this will be for the financial year.
- After filling in all these details, you’ll now need to enter the TDS deduction details and TDS amount mentioned in words.
Details Of TDS Deductions
- Slot No or S. No.
- Amount credited/ paid
- Date of credit or payment
- Tax deducted at source
- Education Cess
- Total tax deposited to the Income Tax Department.
- Cheque number or Demand draft number if any
- BSR Code of the bank branch
- Date on which the tax was deposited in DD/MM/YY format
- Challan identification number/ transfer voucher
Due dates of Form 16A
Form 16A should be issued within 15 days from the due date for furnishing the statement of tax deducted at source.
|Quarter||Quarter Period||Due Date|
|1st Quarter||1st April to 30th June||15th Aug 2017|
|1st Quarter||1st July to 30th September||15th Nov 2017|
|1st Quarter||1st October to 31st December||15th Feb 2018|
|1st Quarter||1st October to 31st December||15th June 2018|
For any help on ITR Filing feel free to consult the tax experts at LegalRaasta. You can file ITR yourself via our ITR software or get CA’s help on filing income tax return. You can also use the option of Business Return, Bulk Return or Revised Return Filing.