ITR V is required to be submitted at the time of e-filing of Income Tax Return. This article is all about what is this form and why is it required to be submitted physically when we have already submitted the ITR Form online.
What is ITR V?
ITR V means income tax return – verification is a single page document and a comprehensive summary of your tax return and only received when you file your ITR online without using a digital signature. It is sent by the Income Tax Department to verify the validity of your e-filing which does not have a digital signature.
Guidelines for ITR V
- ITR Acknowledgment Form should be printed in black ink only. Do not use any other ink option to print ITR V.
- Only A4 Size sheets should be used
- Do not type/write anything on the back of the print of this form.
- Do not submit any other document with the covering letter.
- Do not use stapler on ITR-V acknowledgment.
- Signatures photocopy will not be accepted.
- Use only Inkjet or Laser printer to print ITR V Form and avoid printing on Dot Matrix printer.
- Do not print any kind of watermarks on ITR V.
- Bar code and the numbers below bar code should be clearly visible.
- Make sure the print out of the form is clear and not faded
- By ordinary post or speed post you can send your ITR V form to Post Bag No.1, Electronic City Post Office, Bengaluru, Karnataka-560100,
Steps to download your ITR V form
The ITR V Form is sent to the email id which you entered at the time of creating your user-id and password on www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in of the taxpayer as per the records of the Income-tax Department.
The user can download the ITR Acknowledgement Form from his registered mailbox by two different methods.
- Step 1 – Go to Income tax India Website and click on login here.
- Step 2 – Choose the “View Returns/ Forms” option to see e-filed tax returns.
- Step 3 – Click on Acknowledgement number of the ITR for which you want to download ITR V.
- Step 4 – Select ITR V/Acknowledgement to download.
- Step 5 – After downloading the acknowledgment; enter the password to open the document.
Password to open ITR-V
The password for ITR V is your PAN number in lower letters along with the date of birth.
Date of Birth: 01/01/1982
Step 6 – Print and sign the document and send this document to CPC Bangalore within 120 days from the date of e-filing.
- Login to the government’s Income Tax e-filing portal
- Go to “My Account” tab
- Click on “View e-Filed Returns/Forms”
- Select “e-Filed Returns/Forms” from the drop-down list
- Click on “Submit” button
- Click on the respective assessment year’s “Acknowledgement No.”
- Click on “ITR-V/Acknowledgement” option from the new dialogue box to download ITR-V
If you’ve downloaded the ITR-V from the Income Tax Department’s website, you’ll need a password to open it.
Other Methods of Verification
2. Net banking
3. Electronic Verification Code (EVC)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I send more than one ITR V forms?
It is possible to send multiple ITR V forms in a single mailer. You can club your ITR V with your friends or family members to save on postage cost.
Forms like ITR 1, ITR 2, and ITR3 etc. are the forms used for filing Income Tax Return while ITR V is the acknowledgment you receive after filing earlier mentioned forms. Once you have done with the ITR filing online form, you should furnish ITR V to indicate that the details in your ITR have been verified by you. It has two methods of ITR filing- Online & Offline.
- Is it necessary to send Form 16 or any other document with ITR V?
No, you don’t need to send any supporting documents to the tax department with your ITR-V.
- What is the due date to send ITR V to CPC?
You get 120 days from the day of your ITR filing to send ITR V to CPC.
- What if I fail to send ITR V to CPC?
If you do not send your ITR V in the time allowed (120 days), the Income Tax department will consider your ITR invalid (i.e. as if you never filed that return).
- How to get a duplicate ITR V?
If you have e-filed your Income Tax Return, you can always download any number of duplicate ITR V forms from the e-filing portal of the Income Tax department. However, to obtain ITR V in the case of manual filing, you need to send a request for the same to your Assessing Officer.
- How can I change the email address mentioned in my ITR-V?
In general, you cannot change the email given in ITR-V but if it is necessary you can consider revising your return if allowed under the Act. Alternatively, you can inform the tax department regarding the change of your email by updating your profile on the e-filing portal. To update your profile please follow the steps given below:
Step 1 – Login to the Income Tax department’s e-filing portal
Step 2 – Go to “Profile Settings” → click on ‘My Profile’
Step 3 – Click on the “Contact Details” tab → click on ‘Edit’ button
Step 4 – Enter the new email address → click on ‘Save’ → click on ‘Continue’
Step 5 – You will receive Email and SMS PIN
Step 6 – Enter both the PIN in the respective boxes → click on ‘Confirm’
Step 7 – Your email address is now updated with ITD.
- What should be filled in ITR-V acknowledgment?
ITR-V only requires your signature, no other information is required to be filled in.
- Should I send a photocopy of the duly signed ITR-V?
No, you must sign & send the original ITR-V printed copy & not its photocopy.
- Can I send more than one ITR-V in one envelope?
Yes, you can but ensure that barcode is not tampered with & ITR-Vs are not stapled together.
- Can I verify my Income Tax Return without sending ITR-V to CPC?
Yes, you can choose to do it online through E-Verification.
For any help on ITR Filing feel free to consult the tax experts at LegalRaasta. You can file ITR yourself via our ITR software or get CA’s help on filing an income tax return. You can also use the option of Business Return, Bulk Return or Revised Return Filing. Hurry up! Give us a call at 8750008585 and send your query on Email: [email protected].