Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who has to file GST Return?
Every entity registered under GST will have to file a GST Return. A nil return has to be filed even if no purchase sales activity has been carried out during the return period.
2. What is the periodicity of filing return?
Depending upon the type of registration and trasactions different periods have been specified.Monthly Return has to be filed by Regular, Foreign Non Residents, ISD and Casual Tax Payers whereas compounding tax payers have to file quaterly returns
3. What if i do not file the return on time?
If the return is not filed within the due date then the tax payer is penalized with late fee of Rs 100 per day upto a maximum of Rs. 5000/-
4. Which form is to be filled by Suppliers on E-commerce platform?
Suppliers on E-commerce platform have to fill GSTR-1, 2, 3 and 9. Form 1, 2 and 3 will be filled on monthly basis whereas Form 9 on annual basis.
5. What is GSTR-8?
Every E-commerce operator, who is required to collect tax at source (TCS) under GST, shall furnish a statement in form GSTR-8 electronically through the Common Portal. This return shall contain details of supplies affected and the amount of tax collected.GSTR-8 is required to be filed before 10th of next month.
6. What is Tax collection at Source (TCS) and what are the provisions applicable to E-commerce operators?
Tax Collection at source (TCS) is not defined under the Act, but it is an amount which needs to be collected from the payments made to sellers on portal.
• Every E-commerce operator is required to collect tax at source (TCS) i.e., 1% (not more than that) regardless of turnover or supply made through the portal.
• It is not applicable if operator is operating as an agent.
• TCS is applicable only when the payment from the customer is received by portal and then passed on to seller.
• When seller directly receives payment from customer, this provision is not applicable.
• The TCS should be made on the net value of taxable supplies.
7. What if the person is selling products on the operator’s website (online) as well as offline?
Person has to mention the details in the relevant column in Form GSTR-1.It do not matter whether the person is selling online or offline.
8. What is the due date of paying the TCS to government?
The due date to pay the TCS to government is 10th of every month following the taxable month. For example, Tax collected in the month of October should be deposited by 10th November.