International Driving Licence is essential for those Indians planning to travel abroad and rent/drive a vehicle there. It can be obtained from the local RTO office. International Driving Licence can be understood as a translated copy of the original driver’s Licence. This original license is generally issued by the State transport licensing authority in the territory of India. In all Indian States, it is granted by the concerned RTO office or else Motor Vehicle Department.
An Indian would be able to rent/drive a foreign vehicle with the help of an International DL (Driving Licence). Every Foreign National visiting our country is also required to apply for the same when they visit India and in case they wish to rent/drive an Indian vehicle. A foreigner holding a valid International DL is permitted to drive in India during their visit here.
Applying Online for IDL
- Applying Online for IDL
- Advantages of International DL
- International Driving Licence Validity
- International Driving Licence Application
- Documents Required
- Procedure to Apply for International DL Online
- Other Mandates for International Driving Licence in India
- Benefits of Obtaining an IDL
- Renewal Procedure For IDL In India
You can apply for IDL online by following these steps:
- Visit the official website to apply for IDL https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservicecov15/dlServicesDet.do
- You will have to fill in the details like driving license number, date of birth, and type of driving license and visit the respective RTO to submit your application form.
- Necessary details are to be filled by you as required and then submitted along with necessary documents.
- After you are done with these steps, an application number will be generated that you should preserve, maybe in the form of a printout, and submit to the respective RTO with the payment of the requisite fee.
Advantages of International DL
International DL holds many advantages. Some of them are as follows:
- An international DL can act as identity proof in various countries.
- International Driving Licence also proves that the holder has a valid driver’s license in the country where it was issued. It also certifies the fact that the license holder can drive in a foreign country.
- Multiple languages that are printed on the International Driving Licence increases its utility for other country authorities as they can verify the holder’s information.
- With the help of an International Driving Licence, Indians can rent/drive a vehicle in a foreign country.
International Driving is printed in a number of languages including English, Spanish, French, Scandinavian, Russian, Portuguese, Chinese, Arabic, etc.
International Driving Licence Validity
Indians are permitted to rent and drive vehicles in over 150 countries across the world. These countries accept the International Driving Licence.
The validity of an International Driving Licence is for one year from the date of issue. For renting and driving a vehicle abroad you would be needing both an International Driving Licence and a valid Indian Driving Licence. An International Driving Licence that is issued in India cannot be renewed. You have a file a new application in case your International Driving Licence has expired and you need a new one.
International Driving Licence Application
Only a person holding a valid Indian Licence and a valid Indian Passport can be permitted an International Driving Permit. The fee for an International Driving Licence is fixed at Rs.1000 per license in almost all states. Rs. 200 is separately paid as a processing fee. The applicant will have to make these payments while submitting the documents along with the application form.
The documents mentioned below are required to be submitted to RTO for acquiring the International DL.
- A driving license that is valid and its copies.
- 3 passport size photographs clicked recently.
- Valid proof like passport and its copies.
- Proof of visa with its copies.
- Copy of air ticket for the purpose of verification.
- Payment fee receipt.
- An application for IDL in Form – 4A
- Medical certificate in Form 1A
Procedure to Apply for International DL Online
An International DL is generally issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) or the Automobile Association of India. Both of these authorities are recognized by the Government of India for the purpose of issuing an International DL. Many State Governments have made the application process for the International DL available online. But you would have to submit your application in person to the concerned RTO office. In many states, the applicant has to appear himself for the issue of the International DL at the RTO office.
Offline: For offline mode of International Driving License application, you can complete your form and submit it to your RTO along with all the required documents.
Within 2-7 working days from the date you submitted your application, you will be issued the International DL. The validity of an IDL is for a period of one year from the date it was issued.
Step 1: For apply online visit Kerala’s Motor Vehicle Department official website.
Step 2: Select the RTO name for which the application is to be filed.
Step 3: Enter your licence number in the given boxes correctly
Step 4: Select the date of birth or enter in the format ‘dd/mm/yyyy’
Step 5: Click on the ‘GO’ Button
Your Licence details will be displayed. If any serious mistakes other than spelling mistakes are found or your Licence details are not displayed you should contact the concerned RT/Sub RT Office immediately for correction.
Step 6: Click Next Button
Step 7: Fill up additional requirements if any asked by the computer and click apply
Step 8: Get an application Number and take the printout of a full set of applications (Form 4A & Form 1A)
Step 9: Submit the printed forms with fee/pay receipt at concerned RT Office along with the document mentioned above.
Other Mandates for International Driving Licence in India
In addition to the above-mentioned documents, the individual is required to fulfill the following set of conditions:
- He/She must be 18 years and above age.
- He/She should be owning a Driver’s License that is issued by the Government of India.
- He/She has to submit the issued form and 5 passport-sized photographs.
Benefits of Obtaining an IDL
Various benefits that an individual can enjoy with an IDL are as follows:
- The IDL permits you to drive around in your vehicle on foreign land. It is considered as a testimony to your driving skill. It acts as an assurance to the foreign security personnel for you to have a valid DL in your own country.
- It serves as an identity proof for any specific region, that is translated in their native language.
- If you are already an IDL holder then you would not have to take up any additional driving tests in other countries.
- The IDL is translated into various languages. It makes it easy for the security personnel to verify the details in their language.
- Indian IDL is acceptable in more than 150 countries across the world.
- IDL is mandatory in some of the foreign countries in case you are looking for renting a motor vehicle.
Renewal Procedure For IDL In India
Generally, an IDL is valid for just a year. In case you are traveling again and need to renew your IDL, here’s what you need to do:
- Apply online through the International Control Traffic Association.
- Attach scanned copies of your passport size photograph. Make sure it is recent (not older than 3 months).
- Attach the signed photocopy of your driver’s license, both front, and back.
- Attach all documents that you have submitted earlier.
- Attempt the driving test. In case the driver’s license is issued within 3 months of application to IDP/IDL then you need to retake the test.
- Pay the fee required.
- The fees chargeable for the International Driving License have been renewed from Rs.500 to Rs.1000.
With International Driving License, you do not have to qualify a driving test in a country where you will drive a vehicle. With International Driving License you can not only drive four-wheelers but also two-wheelers outside India on international roads.
We provide all kinds of legal services like Trademark Registration, Company Registration, FSSAI License, and many more. So, contact the expert team of “LegalRaasta”, for a completely smooth and hassle-free process.