In India, marriage registration has a significant role as it is the documentary proof of the marital status of a person. It is not just confined to mere paper material but also required everywhere for passport, insurance claim, child custody, inheritance, bank nominee etc.
Marriage registration is mainly recommended to become legally strong. Not only this rather under the Uttar Pradesh marriage registration Rules 2017 provides for the mandatory registration of all marriages solemnized in the state. But, marriages can also be registered under the Uttar Pradesh Hindu Marriage Registration Rules, 1973. The marriage certificate is issued after the registration and this document must be kept very safe because it is legal proof of marriage between two individuals.
What are the purposes for which Uttar Pradesh marriage registration is compulsory?
- What are the purposes for which Uttar Pradesh marriage registration is compulsory?
- What does Uttar Pradesh Hindu Marriage Registration Rules, 1973 say?
- Benefits of Marriage Registration
- Fees applicable for Marriage Registration in Uttar Pradesh
- Documents required for marriage registration
- Procedure of Marriage Registration
- Verification of Marriage Registration
- What would be the validity of Marriage certificate?
- How can I download Marriage certificate after registration?
Since August 2017, this central government rule regarding marriage registration in UP has been implemented by the Women Welfare Department. As per the Uttar Pradesh marriage registration rules 2017, UP government has made marriage registration compulsory in the state including the Muslim community. Following are the purposes for which it is mandatory:
- To eliminate child marriages
- For empowering widows to claim an inheritance
- To enable women to exercise their rights of maintenance from husband and custody of children
- To keep an eye on bigamy or polygamy
- Serving as a deterrent to husbands deserting their wives.
What does Uttar Pradesh Hindu Marriage Registration Rules, 1973 say?
Following are the conditions that should be satisfied by the bride and groom according to UP Hindu marriage registration rules, 1973:
- Marriage should be done through Hindu customs
- Both bride and groom should belong to Hindu religion
- Minimum age of groom must be 21 years whereas the bride must be of 18 years minimum at the time of marriage
- Following are the places where the jurisdiction of the Registering officer in UP should fall:
♣ The Residence of a bridegroom
♣ Residence of bride
♣ Solemnization place
Benefits of Marriage Registration
- A marriage certificate is a document of social security and self-confidence, particularly among married women.
- It is basically useful in getting Visa for the husband or wife. In foreign embassies, if there is a requirement of marriage proof then this marriage certificate can authorize your wedding. On the other hand, foreign embassies can also ask for marriage certificate while applying for spouse VISA.
- As a marriage certificate is the valuable evidence of marriage, in the traumatic disputes (whether civil or criminal) between the spouses relating to divorce, maintenance, dowry, and other cases it is mainly required.
- In claiming the bank deposits or Life insurance benefits, it is helpful like when the depositee or the insurer dies without a nomination or otherwise.
Fees applicable for Marriage Registration in Uttar Pradesh
Documents required for marriage registration
Given below are the requisite documents for obtaining the certificate of marriage:
- Application forms for Marriage registration
- An affidavit in prescribed format
- Proof of Age of the Groom and Bride – Birth certificate or Mark Sheet
- Address Proof – Ration card, Voter ID, Driving license Passport
- Address Proof – Adhaar card, Pan Card and Voter ID
- Photographs of couples (Joint Photo of bride and groom)
- Wedding Card (Marriage invitation letter)
- Photos of the Witness – at least two witness
Procedure of Marriage Registration
The procedure of UP Government for marriage registration is online which is an Aadhaar based process. The bride and the groom must possess a valid Aadhaar card in order to register their marriage online. Following are the guidelines for registering marriage:
Step 1. Go to the home page of the Integrated Grievance Redressal System (IGRSUP)
Step 2. Click the option Apply under marriage registration, the page will be redirected to the next page.
Step 3. Now, here you will be asked to enter Groom’s Aadhaar number. As soon as the Aadhaar number entered, an OTP will be sent to the groom’s registered mobile number.
All the details of the groom will be sourced from the Aadhaar database (UID) including photo after entering OTP.
Step 4. Now, on the next screen all, you need to enter the bride’s mobile number and further the OTP. As soon as the OTP is entered, bride details will be fetched from the UID database.
Step 5. Afterward, on the next page you are required to give other personal details of the groom as given in the following PDF:
Step 6. Upload your latest photo and all other documents of groom mentioned above and click on save.
Step 7. Next, upload all documents and details of the bride then click on save.
Step 8. As soon as all the details of the bride and groom are filled, you have to enter details of marriage such as date of marriage and place of marriage. After filing details, click on save.
Step 9. The details must be entered here of the witness and upload his/her photos.
Step 10. Once all the details entered, you can preview the details already entered.
Step 11. When all the details entered are correct, read the message shown and Click on submit.
Step 12. Your Application number with a password will be shown, you can note it for future reference.
Step 13. As every registration needs some fees so it also needs the fee for marriage registration.
Step 14. At last processing, the concerned authority will issue you the Marriage Certificate.
Verification of Marriage Registration
Choose the marriage verification option from the homepage of IGRSUP. Then, the page will redirect you to the new page and provide you an application number as well as the marriage date.
Just click on the see button to verify the details of the marriage verification.
What would be the validity of Marriage certificate?
Uttar Pradesh Vivah Panjikaran is valid for life time.
How can I download Marriage certificate after registration?
Directly, log in to the portal using the application number and that password which you had saved for future reference for downloading marriage certificate. Then enter the captcha image shown and click on sign in. Now, you can download your marriage certificate.
For further more information regarding Marriage certificate, PAN registration, TAN registration or DSC registration you can visit our website: LegalRaasta. Our experts will help you with your query. Hurry up! Give us a call at 8750008585 and send your query on Email: [email protected]
Gujarat marriage certificate: eligibilty, documents required, procedure &fees
Delhi marriage certificate: requirements, procedure & charges for registration
How to check the status of your Voter ID?