Food Safety Mitra (FSM) Scheme has been launched by Union Family and Welfare Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan on the celebration of World Food Day on 16 October 2019. A “Eat Right jacket and Eat Right jhola” campaign has been launched under the scheme. It Right Smart Jacket has been introduced for the employees of the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India.
Which will have a radio frequency identification tag (RFID TAG) and QR code. It has launched a right-to-use bag, which is an eco-friendly wash. According to Dr. Harsh Vardhan, these bags will be used in the market instead of plastic bags.
What is FSM Mitra Scheme?
- What is FSM Mitra Scheme?
- What is the target of the FSM Scheme?
- Eligibility Criteria For FSM scheme
- Opportunities in FSM Scheme
- The Scheme’s FSM Scheme Advantages
- The registration process of the FSM scheme
- Code of Conduct under the FSM Scheme
- FSM Certification Renewal & Cancellation
- What is the profit to the consumer?
The food safety Mitra scheme was recently introduced by the FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The Food Safety Mitra Scheme was launched by the FSSAI legal body for the safety department. To assist all small and medium food enterprises in India in complying with food safety laws. The Food Safety Mitra (FSM) Scheme would make it more comfortable to do business by giving a transparent and regulated ecosystem that helps food businesses. Food businesses will be able to find qualified service providers at reasonable rates, reducing enforcement costs and simplifying the FSSAI registration process.The FSM scheme would also provide new job opportunities for young people, especially those with a background in food and nutrition. The FSM will be trained and certified by the FSSAI before going to work and being paid by food businesses.
What is the target of the FSM Scheme?
The main objective of the Food Safety Mitra scheme is to support small and medium sector food businesses so on the act in accordance with the food safety laws.
- The FSM scheme plans to enhance the security requirement of food, hygiene conditions and at an equivalent time provide new employment opportunities for the people having a background within the nutrition and food space.
- The individuals registered under the Food Safety Mitra shall undergo the training under FSSAI and receive a certificate from the FSSAI. Thus, which can cause a lift within the expertise and skill of the workers which will enable better opportunities in food safety standards and employment.
- The Food Safety Mitra(FSM) Scheme also will end in enhancing simple doing business by making a structured and transparent ecosystem by supporting food business operators. These food enterprises will get trained service providers at reasonable prices which shall lower the compliance cost, and during this manner, it’ll also ease out the FSSAI registration process.
Eligibility Criteria For FSM scheme
For the employment listed above, certain eligibility requirements have been finalized –
In the case of Digital Mitra:
- The applicant needs to attain the ages of 20-60.
- The applicant must have graduated from a recognized school and board with a 10+2 diploma.
- The applicant must have a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university in any course.
- The applicant should have a clear understanding of computers and the internet.
In the case of Trainer Mitra :
- The applicant must have a bachelor’s degree in food science, biology, chemistry, microbiology, food hygiene, or home science, among other subjects.
- If the applicant does not have a bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned subject, he or she must have 5 or 7 years of experience in the required work.
- In addition, the applicant must have 5 or 7 years of food safety or hygiene experience in the related food safety industry.
- FSS laws and regulations must be understood by the applicant.
- The applicant must participate in the training for a minimum of 20 days per year.
- Last but not least, the applicant must be able to communicate effectively.
In the case of Hygiene Mitra:
- The candidate should be between the ages of 21 and 60.
- The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields: hotel management/catering/food science/microbiology/diary/oil technology, for example.
- The candidate must be familiar with the FSS rules and regulations.
Opportunities in FSM Scheme
- Licensing and Registration: The FSM scheme aims to enhance registration by increasing the number of registered food businesses from 32 lakhs to 60 lakhs. The initiative aims to form it easier for people and corporations to take care of compliance and register with the FSSAI.
- Food Safety Training: to enhance the general food safety practices within the country, the FSM scheme will provide the specified training. Therefore, the FSSAI‘s Food Safety Training and Certification program aims to extend the number of trained supervisors from 1.5 lakhs to 10 lakhs.
- Hygiene Auditing: Another critical opportunity offered by the Eat Right India movement is a rise in the number of establishments that undergo hygiene audits. While there are only 600 establishments that undergo such rating audits, the FSM will scale this practice by 100 times.
- Employment Generation: The Food Safety Mitras will make it easier to start food-related businesses in India. As a result, there’ll be a rise in the number of employment opportunities within the food sector, worth a minimum of INR 500 Crores. Even, training and skill development programs will help expand the skill of the workers. All of this may make it easier for such people to seek out jobs within India.
- Ease of Doing Business: Through the Food Safety Mitra scheme, the FSSAI is improving the transparency and accountability of such businesses. Hence, the organized ecosystem will help support and strengthen food businesses. the fast grievance redressal system also will help improve the general simple doing business.
The Scheme’s FSM Scheme Advantages
There are several benefits to the scheme that will be offered to the Food Mitras, or those who enroll in the scheme:
- First and foremost, the food Mitras will have the opportunity to advance as a business.
- Food services would now be able to take advantage of the benefits given to government employees.
- They will be able to benefit from the key benefit, which is that they will be able to verify the purity of the food and assist the society in which they operate.
- Apart from the food Mitras, the Food Mitra scheme as a whole will contribute to food purity.
- As previously said, the food Mitras scheme would be able to provide job opportunities for the unemployed.
The registration process of the FSM scheme
- Click on the Food Safety Mitra web portal link for an online application in Khad Suraksha Mitra Yojana. On this page, click on the Apply Now option.
- After this, click on the register yourself option.
- Just after that, the application will write the reference number and you have to save this number.
- Then click on click here to the login option.
- After this, a dashboard will be opened in the name of you, in which your personal details will be written.
- In this dashboard, training, assessment, certificate and get my card option will be written.
Code of Conduct under the FSM Scheme
Various behaviors are provided as follows: –
As the person responsible for assisting FBOs by completing the guidelines, the first FSM process is integrity. These may include: –
- Look for proper diligence in applying and checking hygiene.
- Advice and assist FBOs effectively with procedures, regulatory requirements, procedures, and liabilities.
- Advise FBOs to correct incorrect announcements and non-compliance with guidelines.
- Only charging fixed fees from customers.
- Transparency in FSM scheme
It is necessary for FSMs to remain transparent about their services.
- If any application is submitted by them or on behalf of FBOs then they must state their unique identification numbers for each service provided by FBOs.
- FBOs should be notified of service rates. There should be a clear sharing of all receipts and acceptance by FBOs.
- FSM will not identify themselves as FSSAI officials and will not be allowed to use the FSSAI name or logo without their consent.
- It is imperative that FSMs maintain the highest standards in all application, training, or auditing situations.
- FSMs will ensure the quality of service through accurate, responsive, and accessible information to their FBO clients.
FSM Certification Renewal & Cancellation
FSM certification is valid for two years after it is obtained. FSMs may be needed to complete intermediate training depending on the type of work they do. A refundable security deposit may be obtained at the time of approval to ensure that FSMs are invested in the scheme’s performance and goals. FSMs will be charged Rs 5000/- at the moment. If an FSM decides to leave the system, the security deposit will be refunded.
FSM may continue to function in this capacity unless the FSSAI suspends or revokes the FSM Certificate given to him under this scheme; or
- The Authority has canceled this plan.
- FSM Certificates are not renewed until their validity expires.
- In the event of a complaint or a poor performance assessment, the FSSAI may impose a penalty in the form of a deposit forfeiture, suspension for a period of time, revocation of the FSM certificate, or a prohibition on future registration as an FSM for a period of time.
The following are examples of reasons for cancellation that could justify such action: –
- If the state’s food safety authorities investigate any FSM misbehavior.
- Also, if the FSM refuses to issue the FBO a copy of the receipt/acknowledgment.
- If FSM fails to include his name and unique identification number in his submission or return, he will be disqualified.
- If the FSM fails to correctly enter any information given to him by the FBO in the Application/return.
- Even, if FSM makes a pattern of errors when it comes to filing applications/returns that he has prepared.
- If FSM, despite being aware of the situation, submits a false or fraudulent application/return.
- If FSM commits any financial irregularities, forgery, or theft.
- Moreover, if FSM fails to follow the FSSAI’s instructions from time to time; if FSM fails to upgrade its skills as prescribed by the FSSAI from time to time; or if FSM fails to comply with the FSSAI’s instructions from time to time.
- If an FSM obtains jobs in any government department after receiving an FSM Certificate under this Scheme.
- Any action that may cause FBO to make a false declaration to the Authority in violation of these guidelines or otherwise.
- Food Authority may offer FSM an opportunity to clarify his or her role prior to cancellation.
What is the profit to the consumer?
- Food may be infected at any point in the process, from processing to delivery. Food contaminated with dangerous bacteria, viruses, parasites, or toxic agents causes illnesses ranging from diarrhea to cancer. Every year, an estimated 600 million people become sick and 4,20,000 people die as a result of contaminated food, resulting in the loss of 33 million safe life years.
- As customers, we must read labels before purchasing food, treat and prepare food according to FSSAI guidelines, and dine in sanitary establishments with all required licenses and registrations. With 50,000 Food Safety Mitra’s to be verified over the next 5 years, this is a move in the right direction to assure that we eat right and stay fit.
The food Safety Mitra initiative will ease regulatory enforcement for food businesses, build new economic opportunities for individuals, and boost the capacity of ESSAI and the State Food Authorities to unlock the potential for growth of the food sector by involving motivated and qualified individuals in the food ecosystem.
The Food Safety Mitra initiative will act as a marketplace for various stakeholders to meet and learn about one another, thus improving the ease of doing business. The FSMS will also provide a strong last-mile footprint for food regulation and safety. Food Safety Mitra will be a crucial strategic initiative as part of the larger Eat Right India campaign, with 50,000 FSMs expected to be accredited over the next five years.
Obtaining an FSSAI License or an FSSAI Registration will help your food business assure consumers that you are using the safest and best food product and food handling applications and will also help you to stay on the right side of the law. Call +91-8750008585 to get started!