FSSAI Full Form
FSSAI is an acronym for the food regulatory authority of India and it basically stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. The Food authority regulates and checks for safe food manufacture, storage and handling practices of Food Business Operators(FBOs). FSSAI checks for compliance and that FBOs are following the regulations and standards as mentioned in the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. Since 2006, all acts and regulations related to food and related products have been under the jurisdiction of FSSAI. FSSAI issues compliant FBOs a Compliance (C) badge and in accordance with their annual turnover, issue them an appropriate Food License. Now that you have learnt many things about FSSAI, full form, functions as well as their jurisdiction, let’s look at this FSSAI license in detail.
What is a FSSAI License?
FSSAI, also known as the Food Authority of India, issues a 14-digit License number to food business operators who are in Compliance of the rules and regulations under the FSS act. This FSSAI License number has to be imprinted on food products along with the FSSAI Logo. Also Read: How to Check FSSAI License Number Online. The FSSAI license can be obtained on the food licensing website by creating a FSSAI Login ID and passwords. Following is an example of food products with the license number and logo:
In addition to this, with the advent of modern technology, and the rise of food tech startups, nowadays food is delivered directly from the restaurants to the customer’s via a mobile app. Food Aggregator apps have been instructed by the regulatory authority not to display the appropriate licenses of the restaurants. Without the FSSAI License, Swiggy and other food aggregator apps will de-list the corresponding restaurants from their websites.
Related: FSSAI Product Approval
Who needs a FSSAI License?
FSSAI has mandated and made it a statutory compliance to obtain the FSSAI Registration for every business no matter how small or big. In the list of Businesses that have to obtain a license, the following are included:
- Restaurants: Hotels, Family Restaurants, Street Food Vendors, Hawkers
- Processing Units
- Food/ Food Products Storage Units
Types of FSSAI Food License
The Food licenses issued by FSSAI are of many types. Different licenses are issued to different FBOs based on their Annual Turnover. However, before you get started with the food license, there are many statutory compliances you will need to make sure are already in place. Since restaurants are like any other business, you will have to Register a Company / Do a Partnership Registration along with getting GST Registration and IEC Registration (if applicable).
Basically, there are 3 types of food licenses that FBOs can choose from. Let’s look at the classification of the various types of licenses issued by FSSAI:
- FSSAI Basic Registration: This a basic registration process, businesses just need to enlist themselves with FSSAI. It is applicable to small Businesses (Petty Food Businesses) or to new food businesses can also for this license. Food Businesses with Annual Turnover up to ₹ 12 lakhs.
- FSSAI State License: This is a License that is issued to FBOs. It is mainly for Food Businesses which have crossed an Annual Turnover of ₹12 lakh but still operate below ₹20 Crores of revenue per year. It is also mandatory of a subsidiary branch of a food business which is operating in multiple states.
- FSSAI Central License– FSSAI Central License is a license that Food Businesses with an Annual Turnover greater than ₹ 20 Crores need to acquire in order to function smoothly.
Food Safety Department
The Food Safety Department is an organization which is related to FSSAI. This department works in relation to the farming rules of the food articles and overlooking the proper implementation of the related policies. In addition to this, this department has been assigned to provide scientific as well as technical support to the central government with regards to food articles. In conjunction with this support, the food safety department collects data with regards to food consumption and also about general awareness Food Safety and Standards.
Documents for FSSAI License
Essentially the FSSAI Registration/ License requires a few documents in order to verify the ownership as well as the validity of the food business operators(FBOs). For registering an FBO, FSSAI requires Personal Details of the Applicant as well as details of the Food Business.
The personal details of the applicant required are as follows:
- PAN Card
- Copy of Aadhar Card / Voter Identity Card/ Driving License /Passport [Any 1]
- Passport Size Photo
Documents for the Registered office/Premises
- Latest Utilities Bill (Electricity/ Water/ Gas Connection Bill)
- Copy of Rent Agreement (if Rented Property)
- Copy of Properties Papers (If premises are self-owned)
Property can be residential/commercial
Documents for FSSAI Basic Registration [Also required for State And Central]
- Duly-Filled Form A signed by all directors/partners/proprietor/ Executive member of thre society [Form B for State and Central License]
- Food Safety Management System (FSMS) declaration on the letterhead of the company
- Proof of Income determining the Annual Turnover of the Food Business Operator (FBO)
- Nomination of the person appointed by the firm/company in the Form IX
- Self Declaration by Director
- Affidavit on Non-Judicial Stamp Paper
Additional Documents for State License
- Blueprint or layout of the proposed location
- Detailed list of Equipment and Machinery installed or to be installed at the location
- NOC and copy of the license from manufacturers
- Authority letter with particulars about the name and address of the person responsible.
Documents for Central License
- Water Report Analysis from a well-established and/or a government health labratory
- Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) issued IEC (Import Export Code)
- Pesticide Residue Report of the water for units involved in the manufacturing of mineral or carbonated water
- Designated milk provider/ Source of Milk
- Proof of Annual turnover, if required
- Meat provider/ Meat processing units
- Certificates alotted by the Ministry of Tourism, if applicable
- Vehicles turnover proof, if applicable
- Memorandum of Association (MOA) and Articles of Association
The procedure to acquire the food license can be a tedious and intensive task and sometimes while preparing for a restaurant launch or setting up a restaurant you might not have time for the formalities.
Consult us at LegalRaasta, one of the top food Consultants across the country. Get your license at economical prices and at a swift pace.
Call +91-8750008585 to get started!